[Closed] Viki's proxy - VPN problem might not to be clients' fault
Dear Viki team,
I have been following your advice, and also your answers to the other clients with similar problems. I use Windows 10, and Chrome in my laptop (both with updated latest versions). I have followed all instructions, and checked all possible topics. I also know what ''area restricted'' videos mean, and I just pass them. My problem is the VPN / proxy error.
1. I have no ad blocker on Viki. It has been the only website I have not ad blocked.
2. I have no VPN.
3. I don't have proxies that can prevent me from watching video streaming services. I can watch Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, Youtube Plus, and free streaming services like DailyMotion etc. without any problems.
4. I have cleaned my cache, and cookies.
5. I have restarted my computer, and even rebooted it.
6. I also called my ISP (the biggest in my country, Finland), and my Security Provider (one of the best ones in the world if looking global statistics).
7. If nothing else works, you recommend to take contact and/or use a test link on the website of your new partner company, providing your web security services (you posted their webpage's link in some of your answers to the Viki users' proxy / VPN error complaints). One of the test links states that the information is shared with a third party. Of course, this doesn't mean they are not okey, they may be even the best, and the most trustworthy, but I do not prefer to allow them test my computer through some links provided - simply because I don't know the company. I have not even ever heard its name before. This is my personal security choice, so I can not accept such a solution.
Moreover, what I have understood from other people's complaints, many have not got any solution from them either. Some Viki users seem to complain that they got no answer even though they did the test. Some users said they took even screenshots of the test results, but no solution yet. What happened then I don't know. Many post threads have been closed by Viki without confirmation from the clients if their proxy / VPN error problem was really solved or not. What a sad state of affairs !
Summa summarum: According to my ISP, and Security Provider my internet configurations / settings should not have anything, which prevents me from watching video streaming services. My ISP checked also your webpage address www.viki.com. They recommended me not to change any of my configurations or settings, as those are there for good reasons, like for my general online privacy, and security. They also reminded me that my Netflix etc. all are working fine with my current configurations and settings, and those are the world's biggest, and trustworthy video streaming services. As a conclusion, I believe there is nothing wrong at my end.
However, after reading so many Viki users' posts I noticed that most of the ones, who have problems with Viki' s proxy - VPN error message, are from the European Union countries, like Germany etc. The European Union web/internet usage laws are protecting its users more strictly against third parties etc., and against all different kind of ads, information collecting attempts etc. than laws e.g. in the USA or many other countries. I am not an IT geek, but I have begun to wonder, if this could be a part of the problem, and also hopefully a part of the possible solution? During the last years even giants like Google etc. have had to change their policies to respect more end user's privacy in the European Union countries. Personally I don't dare to change my security & privacy settings more than I have already done (I allowed all cookies, ads etc.) - in order to be able to watch Viki.
I was considering to become a paid member, as I have newly signed in, but after these experiences I have dropped the idea. However, I have greatly enjoyed the content, and community of Viki Rakuten during the last few months, so I sincerely wish you review your policies, and focus more on the end user's experience - after all in the long term, what is the best for your clients, is also the best for you as a company.
Update: 23.4.2022, 15.33:
Miracles do happen ! I did not change any of my configurations or settings during all this time that I couldn't watch videos in Viki, and now suddenly it does not give me proxy / VPN error anymore. I wonder what has changed as I have changed nothing ? Well, it seems I was right. The error was not at my end, but at Viki's end. Hopefully it is fixed now for good. Thank you !