Viki Watch Party is a new feature that allows you to watch movies and dramas together with the rest of the Viki community! While watching, you’ll be able to connect with each other via the live chat function.
How do I use Viki Watch Party?
Viki Watch Party is a linear TV platform where shows are screened on a fixed schedule. This means that everyone tuning in would be watching the same part of the show, at the same time.
To view a Viki Watch Party you will see a banner on the Viki.com homepage with information about what is playing this week.
NoteViki-hosted Watch Parties are currently available in the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, India, France, Colombia, Italy, Peru, Germany, Chile, United Kingdom, Argentina, Poland, Spain, Australia and on web browsers only.
The Play and Pause functions work just like it does on our regular video player. However, resuming playback after pausing would bring you to the current point of the show that is being streamed; and not where you previously stopped at.
Subtitles settings can be changed at any point in time. The appearance and selected language will only affect your own viewing experience.
You can chat with your friends and those watching using the live chat function on the right side of the screen. To hide the live chat, click on the icon.
Watch Party Live Chat rules apply.
Viki is now allowing you to host your own Watch Parties!
At the moment,
- You can host Watch Parties on Viki with select drama series and movies only. Check if a show is available for your Watch Party by looking out for the Watch Party icon on the channel page. Of course, we are looking to expand the content variety available for private parties in the future.
- Only one video can be added to each watch party. To continue watching other videos, please create a new watch party.
How do I host my own Watch Party?
Creating your Watch Party
- Choose a show you’d like to watch with your family and friends
- At the channel page of the show, or on the episode for which you want to create a Watch Party, click on the Watch Party icon
- Name your Watch Party and follow the instructions on the screen to get started
Once your Watch Party has been created, a unique URL for the party will be generated. Share this link with your family and friends for them to join the party. This link will expire after 24 hours, or upon the end of your party, whichever first. Be sure to tell your family and friends that they must be logged in to Viki and be in regions where the selected video is licensed.
You can host only 1 Watch Party at any one time, and 1 video per Watch Party.
Starting the video for your Watch Party
You can decide when to start the video, but please note that you can start the video only when there are 2 or more members in the party, and the maximum capacity of each of your own Watch Party is capped at 20.
During your Watch Party
- As a host, only you have access to video playback controls. This means that you can start, pause, fast forward, rewind, or end the video any time, for everyone in the Watch Party.
- Anyone in the Watch Party can see who is present in the Watch Party at any time. At the top right of Live Chat, click > Select Member List
- As a host, at any time you observe poor participation from member(s), you can report bad behavior. Learn how to do here.
Ending your Watch Party
As a host, if you need to leave the Watch Party midway while the video is still playing, you can:
- Leave the party on your own. This will allow the video to continue playing for all your Watch Party members until the end of the video, or
- End the Watch Party. This means that the video will stop playing immediately and the party will end for you and all party members.
To leave or end your Watch Party, at the top right of Live Chat, click > Select End the party