The Subtitle Editor tool allows you to write and edit subtitles on Viki!
Accessing the Subtitle Editor on the Viki video player
- Once you click on a channel that you would like to subtitle it will direct you to the new video page.
- Click the icon shown in the picture below (located on the lower right-hand side.) This will open the Subtitle Editor tool.
- This should bring up the player menu to access the Subtitle information, tools, and more.
- Click on the Pencil Icon to access the Subtitle Editor.
Navigating the Subtitle Editor
- On the right-hand side, select whether you'd like to subtitle or caption. If you select "Subtitle," choose the languages you would like to translate FROM and TO from the drop-down menus.
- In the boxes below, write or edit the subtitles (Note: These boxes each represent a segment, so if they do not appear yet, the video must be segmented in the Segment Timer)
Visual Guide to the Subtitle Editor
- Area to select "Subtitle" or "Caption" and the "From" and "To" languages
- The writable fields to write subtitles. Each box represents a segment.
- Menu to move between parts of a video
- Menu to move between episodes
Use Ctrl+F to find a word within all subtitles on a video.
Using the shortcut keys (such as “Tab” to move to the next subtitle) will help you subtitle more quickly, so make sure to check them out (located under the fields for "From" and "To" languages).
I'm new and don't know how to subtitle. Where do I learn?
You can learn how to subtitle on the Viki U Channel, which contains numerous tutorial videos and tips. More specifically, this video will show you how to subtitle.
Remember to always first contact the Channel Manager or Moderator of a video before you start working on it.
Also, check out the community-created Ninja Segging & Subbing Academy to learn from veteran subtitlers!
Article is closed for comments.