It's our goal to bring you as much content as possible for as long as possible. However, what videos we have available and how long we're able to keep them on Viki depends on licensing rights granted by our content partners. We work with them constantly to try to secure more and more content and extend rights whenever possible.
If the content you were watching has suddenly become unavailable, be aware that this channel will have most likely expired for various reasons.
Why do titles leave Viki?
- Viki acquires licensing rights for TV shows and movies for a certain period of time, not indefinitely. When the TV show or movie is no longer available, the licensing agreement has ended with the content provider.
- Other issues outside of our control regarding music rights, syndication deals, amongst others.
Whenever a TV show or movie is expiring, we evaluate whether or not to renew it using the same criteria we apply to potential new content.
Some factors considered are the following:
- Are the rights to renew the license still available?
- What is the popularity and cost of a particular title?
- Are there other factors to consider like seasonality, etc.?
Although we make every effort to license TV shows and movies, the process is complicated and can take time. If you want to learn more about our licensing process, you can read this blog post. You can also request titles for us to renew or license here.